Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Blogs - Kal, Aaj Aur Kal..

My blog has been fairly inactive for quite some time. There are some posts, fewer people reading and even fewer comments. Initially, it could be attributed to lack of time, lack of subjects, less creativity and people having less time to read the blog . And inevitably, it looks like my blog is dead.

The   first sign of it had already come in 2010, which is pretty much a normal path for people who are average in terms of content and language , and miserable in terms of people following, but soon enough I have realized that most bloggers who used to blog around have also stopped. And I think I know why.

Kind of dates back to why blogs became popular, When I first came to the USA, there were so many new things I saw. A time when calling cards were expensive, there were no social networks (Friendster was there, but I did not know about it, and honestly , when someone described it to me, I felt "what's the big deal about it :) ? ") . While I was making new friends, I missed some of my buddies and felt I should share the interesting things that are not mentioned in news. Some things that you should know about.  So I wrote this email to a bunch of friends. People who were kind enough to tolerate the spam and appear to appreciate. Fueled my enthusiasm a little more, and more emails came by. Like this incident . Before blogs, brief replies to emails meant so much. It was actually a huge acknowledgement that maybe what you are writing isn't as boring . And before long, I wanted to archive these things, all emails, all replies, just for the satisfaction of it.

And then I saw blogger. I don't remember, but it probably came from Animesh's blog . Well, I too want to do something like that. And so the journey started. Lot of factors contributing to it . It was the time when everyone wanted to blog. I think all of us have 10 random topics on which we have an opinion and we want to voice it. So well, let it into the blogosphere. It's free, it's easy, and let the people decide if it's good content or not. The problem though is that all of us don't have more than 20 such things. And the literary / comic ability to make it sound nice. So slowly blogs decline.

However, I think this is not the reason blogs died. The reason was probably the advent of microblogging, transformation of social networking sites to be a means of microblogging, immediate response in the form of 'likes', and ease of using them as hand held devices became faster, cheaper and increasingly common.

One great example:

This post in 2005

There was a fire in SF near my workplace, and well, I blogged about it. Now , it's interesting to imagine,

Or , when I first discovered this great idea .

So in 2006, I blogged about it. In 2015, I would have shared it on facebook, and tagged it, people would like it , reshare it...

Unfortunately, though, this means the decline of something we thought was so cool a decade back :). It was like a good friend when you needed someone to share your thoughts with.

So goodbye, blogs - we'll be in touch of course :D. And of course, I'll put this on facebook so people like it and contribute more to the demise of it :P .


No comments: