Monday, June 05, 2006

A lot of rage, a bit of Rang De

I had always heard of the freedom struggle from my grand uncles, from my grandmother and from my history books. Perhaps I was never imagine to visualise what the atmosphere would be like in those times when students stopped going to school and people started burning all international goods, or workers went on strike, and all of India had just one goal in mind. The true taste of 'Rang De Basanti'

Yesterday I attended a small gathering here in the Bay Area against Arjun Singh and the whole idea of reservations. It felt good, in some small way, if I could contribute against this stupidity, it would give me a lot of satisfaction. All these years of frustration in the minds of all students, including myself, has finally given way . And I hope they succeed. I hope WE succeed.

It doesn't make sense anyways. Having studies in an engineering college full of these reservations, it's an open truth that many of the guys who take advantage never make it through their engineering or medicine, and the seats are sold off once they drop out. And if you are so concerned about equal rights, why do you bring the caste system into picture at the first place? Me and Asim had quite an argument with one of the guys who had actually come to this anti-reservation rally fighting on his ideology that there should be more and more reservations. I have to say that we could no where identify with any of his arguments, leave alone agree with them.

It's sad to see the plight of students who are undergoing hunger strikes and clashes with the government. May God give them strength.

And probably some pictures that I thought were really worth a thousand words in this hour of rebellion. Picked up from cartoons and news articles





3 comments:

Gaurang said...

Nicely said , and yes, nice cartoons, Harshit...

I did not know that you maintain your blog. I will visit again...

Anonymous said...

Good Article man!

Gladtomeetin said...

Nice to know what u went for the meet....cool ! Truely, it gives us loads of satisfaction !